First and Second Years

I am thinking of becoming a Chem Major—is there a preferred personal computer I should buy (Mac or PC)?

No.  Whatever your preference is is fine.

I am taking Chem 1410/1420 or 2410/2420 but I cannot get into the associated lab. What can I do about it?

Complete a course action form, and take it with you to the first day of lecture.  The professor will sign you into the lab.

I really need to take Chem 1410/1420, or Chem 2410/2420, but the class is filled and I cannot register—what can I do?

Complete a Course Action Form and take it along with your schedule to CHM 404 for Cindy Knight to sign.

I am taking Chem 1410/1420 and Chem 1411/1421 or Chem 2410/2420 and Chem 2411/2421 but the lab section to which I am assigned is at a really bad time for me—what can I do?

Don’t worry—appear at the first meeting of the LECTURE, and everything will be sorted out.  As long as you are signed up for a lab (any one of the labs that are dependent on the course you are taking) you will have the opportunity to move to a better time.

How do I find out which lab room I will be working in for Chem 1411/1421 or Chem 2411/2421?

Come to the first LECTURE (Chem 1410/1420 lecture, Chem 2410/2420 lecture) — Full details on room and locker assignments will be provided at that time.

The lab section (Chem 1411/1421 or Chem 2411/2421) I am assigned to meets before the first day of lectures.  Will this lab really meet?

No. There are no labs before the first lecture.  The first LECTURE is organizational, and your LAB assignments, procedures, materials, etc., are disseminated at that time.

Because of disability, I require special accommodations in Chem 1411/1421 (Chem 2411/2421).  What do I need to do?

First, consult with the Student Disability AccessCenter (243-5180; V/TDD: 243-5189).  Then, schedule a meeting with the professor of the lab to discuss your needs and available options.  Please do this well in advance of the first scheduled lab day, as some options require time to arrange.

I am taking Chem 1410/1420 or Chem 2410/2420 and the associated lab.  If I drop the lab will I get credit for the lecture course?

Can I take Chem 1410/1420 lecture without taking Chem 1411/1421?  Yes.  You can take the lecture without taking the lab but you cannot take the lab without taking the lecture (unless you have received Advanced Placement credit or have taken the lecture in a previous semester).

Can I take Chem 1411/1421 without taking Chem 1410/1420?

Only if you have qualifying Advanced Placement in Chemistry or if you have taken CHEM 1410/1420 in a previous semester.

I had really good chem lab experience in high school and have all my lab notebooks. Can I get AP credit for chem lab?

AP credit for chem lab is never given – there is no standardized AP type test for chem lab as there is for chemistry lecture, and in order to standardize and be fair to everyone, personal visits by a knowledgeable professional would have to be made to chem labs all over the country. It just isn’t feasible.

I am out of Chem 1410/1420 by virtue of Advanced Placement, so I’m not in the lecture to pick up lab materials.  What do I do?

Try to attend one of the Chem 1410/1420 lectures on the first day of classes.  All will be revealed at the start of these lectures.  If you cannot attend either section, see Jan Dean (311 Chem Bldg) on the first day of classes or as soon as possible after classes begin.

Can I sign up for Chem 1810 lecture and 1411 lab?  It will fit into my schedule so much better that way.

No.  The 1800 – 2800 series covers the same content as the 1400 – 2400s, and so do the labs, but the order in which the various topics are covered is very different.

I have AP credit for Chem 1410/1420, and want to know whether I can take Chem 1810/1820 and Chem 1811/1821 and still get the credit for Chem 1410/1420 and Chem 1411/1412?

Yes, students with AP credit for Chem 1410/1420 will not lose that credit if they take Chem 1810/1820.  No AP credit is ever given for labs, however.

I have tested out of Chem 1410/1420, and had a very good chemistry lab experience in high school as well.  What is wrong with my taking Chem 2410/2420 and 2411/2421 in my first year?

We strongly recommend against going into organic chemistry without having extensive college-level laboratory experience.  In addition, CHEM 1411 and 1421 are prerequisites for CHEM 2411.  When in doubt, consult a chemistry advisor (see list available on main page).

I am a pre-med, and I want to know whether becoming a Chemistry major is the best way to go in order to get into a good medical school.  Whom do I ask about this?

A chemistry major is your best way to med school only if you really enjoy chemistry and do well at it.  Your major should be a subject you love.  A good person to talk to about pre-med options is the pre-professional advisor at University Career Services at Bryant Hall.  This valuable resource person can be reached at 924-8900.

It would work into my schedule much better if I could take Chem 1420/1421 first and then take 1410/1411 in the fall of my second year.  Is that permissible?

It is not.  If you have the kind of chemistry experience that would make it possible (i.e., AP chemistry with a good test score), then you should be in Chem 1810/1820 and its lab.  If you don’t have that kind of experience, you need to take Chem 1410/1420 in its proper order, since 1410 is a prerequisite of 1420 and contains much of the information you will need to succeed in 1420.

I am a second-year who is thinking of becoming a chem major.  I took Chem 1410/1420 and their labs last year, can I take Chem 2810/2820 this year?

Unfortunately, students who started in the 1410/1420 series cannot change into the 2810/2820 because the format and approach is too different.

I am thinking of becoming a chemistry major, but I would be a double major, and I have heard that it is not possible to take both a B.Sc. and a B.A. in the College. Is this true?

It is true that you cannot earn two degrees but you can double major.  For example, you can take a B.Sc. in Chemistry and a B.A. in some other major.   The double major will show on your transcript, but you diploma would only reflect the B.Sc.

I am interested in taking some classes at my local college/university this summer when I’m home on break. How can I make sure I get credit for them here? 

First, consult the Transfer Credit Analyzer and see what course is equivalent.  Students must secure the permission of the College Dean prior to enrolling in all courses taken at another institution and transferring academic credit back to the University to apply toward their degree program. This is done by submitting a “Request for Transfer of Credit” form prior to enrolling in courses for transfer.

I wish to declare a major in the Chemistry Department.  What should I do?

First, pick up an undergraduate brochure from Cindy Knight in Room 404 or from the bulletin board outside to Room 404.  This outlines the various programs available, and what the requirements are for each of them.  You will find Declaration of Major forms here as well.  Fill out the top part of the Declaration of Major form and take it along with your a copy of your Academic Requirements form to one of the undergraduate advisers.  No appointment is necessary.  Just knock on their door and tell them you want to declare your major. When your major declaration form is completed and signed by one of the advisers listed above, bring it to Cindy Knight in Room 404, ChemBldg.

What does it mean to have ACS Certification?  Does it really matter if I have it or not? 

Here is a document from the American Chemical Society that discusses ACS Certification and it’s significance.

*******WARNING: You must declare a major in your 4th semester.********