- The College of Arts and Sciences, through the International Studies Office, encourages students to pursue an education abroad experience during their undergraduate career. An international experience offers an exceptional way for students to enhance their UVA academic experience. Students should begin to investigate education abroad opportunities as early as their first year by viewing the online Education Abroad Workshop. This workshop will enable them to carefully lay the foundation for study abroad during their undergraduate tenure. All students wishing to study abroad are required to complete the online workshop prior to opening an application or making an appointment with a study abroad advisor.
- UVA sponsors a number of its own study abroad programs throughout the academic year and supplements its own offerings with UVA-approved programs sponsored by other colleges and universities. To identify the program that best matches their academic and personal goals and to prepare for the sojourn, students should work with their academic advisor and the Education Abroad Advisor for the country or region of their chosen program. Click here for the Transfer Credit Analyzer for Study Abroad Programs. As always, just because a course isn't listed here doesn't mean we don't accept it.
Students interested in programs not currently approved by UVA need to petition the International Studies Office (ISO).
To view the Education Abroad Workshop, find out about research program offerings, or make an appointment with a study abroad advisor students should visit the ISO's Education Abroad website.
Financial Considerations for Study Abroad
- UVA is committed to making study abroad affordable and accessible to all its students. Students receiving financial aid through Student Financial Services can apply this funding toward their study abroad programs. Additional funding is available through grants, loans, and several study abroad scholarships. Students should read the information on the ISO Study Abroad website and consult with Student Financial Services (SFS).
- The UVA International Studies Office facilitates study abroad programs.
- American Chemical Society – Study Abroad Programs for Chemical Science Majors.
- Semester at Sea.
Click here to download a flyer about semester abroad opportunities.