Chemistry Major

Process for declaring a major in Chemistry

The process for declaring a major in chemistry is easy.  There are no prerequisites that need to be completed prior to declaring your major in chemistry.  There is no “applying” or “pre-declaring” to be a chemistry major.  There is no application period.  You can declare a major in chemistry at any time.

  1. Pick up a Declaration of Major form (available at the Dean’s Office at Monroe Hall or outside room 404 in the Chemistry Building)
  2. Review the courses that you still need to complete for the degree program you wish to pursue and come up with a plan of how to complete all the required courses.  Handouts are available outside room 404 in the Chemistry Building and here.
  3. Make a list of any questions you may have.
  4. See Cindy Knight in room 404 in the Chemistry Building and she will review your form and the courses you still need to take and answer any questions you may have. She will sign it and assign you an advisor. You do not need to make an appointment.  Just stop by her office and let her know you want to declare your major.

B.A. in Chemistry

The Bachelor of Arts in Chemistry (B.A.) is a flexible program designed to prepare the student for further study in a wide range of fields. With a minimum number of required courses, the chemistry B.A. permits the student to design an undergraduate program uniquely suited to individual needs.

More Info

B.S. Chemistry (ACS Certified)

The Bachelor of Science in Chemistry (B.S.) is a pre-professional degree designed for students who plan to become chemists, either by going to graduate school or by working in the chemical industry. The B.S. program, certified by the American Chemical Society, emphasizes intensive study in the sciences.

More Info

B.S. Specializations (Biochemistry, Chemical Physics, Environmental Chemistry, Materials Science)


Caters to students having a strong interest in biology and biological chemistry by incorporating biologically-related lecture and laboratory courses. Many students in this program plan to attend medical or dental school, but a significant fraction pursues graduate study in chemistry, biochemistry, environmental science, or related areas.

More Info

Chemical Physics

For the student who wants chemistry with a strong physics orientation.

More Info

Environmental Chemistry

For students who intend to teach chemistry/science K-12; it is taken in conjunction with the Curry School’s five-year Master of Teaching program, to which the student must seek admission. 

More Info

Materials Science

A professional degree that can be certified by the American Chemical Society (if specific requirements are satisfied) and is designed to prepare the student for a career in chemistry.

More Info

For more information on the on the Curry School program, contact Professor Frackson Mumba.

B.A./M.A. in Chemistry ("3+1" Degree Option)

Students seeking this degree option will complete their bachelor’s degree in three years and then enter a one-year master’s degree program. This option is not for all students.

More Info


Be advised that if you are double majoring, which ever Declaration of Major form is submitted first, will be your first major.  Regardless of whether or not you mark the box at the top indicating otherwise.

View Course Descriptions

Roadmap with links to the syllabus for each course

Brochure of all Chemistry undergraduate degree programs 

If you wish to petition to substitute a required course with a different one, please fill out this form, take it (along with a copy of your unofficial transcript) to Cindy Knight (CHM 404).  She will present your request to the Undergraduate Advising Committee.  You will be emailed once a decision has been reached.

The information contained on this website is for informational purposes only. The Undergraduate Record and Graduate Record represent the official repository for academic program requirements. These publications may be found at